Wednesday, September 26, 2012


The Eyes of Child


On June 5th I stated, “I'm Back...” Admittedly, it took a bit longer than I thought. After completing my MBA and not needing to write in APA format I thought for sure I would want to start writing again. But obviously I didn't. Why? It is hard to say for certain, but the easiest answer it that I had no drive, no ambition, no inspiration. I have plopped down in front of the computer on multiple occasions since then thinking, “Today's the day.” But nothing.

My motivation was lacking for several reasons. First, I was tired of writing. I realized even if I could write about what I wanted I still didn't want to write. Second, after completing the MBA I was eager to begin a new career (still am). I have worked since I was eleven, so I admit I am struggling being unemployed. I don't feel like I am giving to society. It will happen and when it does I will look back and realize I have enjoyed this time off for the most part. I will be glad when it happens.

I brag so much about where I live...probably to the point that it irritates some folks. Oh well, you'll have to live with that because I do live in one of the absolute best places on earth. With that I sought inspiration by climbing Colorado 14ers (any peak over 14,000 feet high). I climbed 16 this summer and loved every single minute of it. Even rolling out of my car in 26 degree weather to start a climb alone in the dark. I don't think there are many things that create a sense of awareness like being alone on the side of a mountain in the dark. I absolutely love it! But even on those magnificent peaks with everything to absorb, every second counting, I couldn't find inspiration to write.

That all changed last week. Mikiele, my 9 y/o daughter, and I decided to start hiking. No 14ers yet...baby steps. So, last Monday we hiked up Arthur's Rock. I think it is a difficult climb for anyone, but especially for someone who has never climbed a mountain before. I was absolutely amazed with my daughter. We stopped here and there, but before I knew it we were on top. And you should have seen her eyes. This past Saturday we climbed Lily Mountain (pictured above is on top with Long's Peak looming in the background). Again, you should have seen her eyes. Bingo! I found my inspiration. All of these months searching, wanting to write, but just not finding the reason.

A few days ago someone asked my what makes me happy. Without hesitation I answered, “Seeing someone smile when they first see me, especially if that someone is my bride or daughter.” All this time and my inspiration was with me almost every day. All to often we search for things in far off places. The mountains call my name and I will always run to them as much as possible. But I know my inspiration is right in my own home. It is a loving smile on the face of my bride or my daughter.

The two hikes we've been on together so far has created another bond between Mikiele & me. She wants to do a 14er next summer. If she keeps the bug I will be happy to oblige and help her make it to the top. But, when I get there you know what will inspire me? Her eyes!

See you out there!

Double B

In the eyes of a child there is joy, there is laughter
There is hope, there is trust, a chance to shape the future
For the lessons of life there is no better teacher
Than the look in the eyes of a child

You've found the place to walk the path you've chosen
You'll never miss the world you left behind
When life gives life, it's happiness unbroken
When you give love, it's love you'll find

-Graham Russell and Ron Bloom

No comments:

Post a Comment